Kestrel 5700 Sportsman Weather Meter
The Kestrel Sportsman Weather Meter combines accurate measurement of air density and wind with a powerful ballistics calculator to deliver precise elevation and windage solutions for any gun, any round, any shot. The built-in enhanced Applied Ballistics G1/G7 ballistics solver is tested and trusted by long-range hunters and shooters. As a general rule, this meter is for people shooting out to 800 yards. If you think you'll be going beyond that, consider the Kestrel Elite. You can upgrade later.
What was new with the Kestrel Sportsman Weather Meter with Applied Ballistics over the previous Kestrel 4500 Sportsman series:
- Bluetooth LINK to Smartphones / Mobiel / Android / IOS
- Spin Drift - this was not on the 4500 Sportsman
- Takes 1 AA battery (instead of 2 AAA)
- Battery door is in the back, sealed away from the motherboard, should your battery leak as was common with all the 4000 series
- Improved high resolution screen for any lighting (even sunlight) and easy on your eyes.
- Intuitive user-interface screen navigation
- Multiple Languages: English, French, German, Spanish
- Scratch and breakage-resistant window
- All meters include both options of Red (NV - Night Vision) & White backlights.
- Slightly bigger, not really noticeable difference. Fits same cases.
- Roughly 10,000 data points.
Kestrel Sportsman Weather Meter with Applied Ballistics Features
- Employs the enhanced Applied Ballistics G1/G7 solver, including Aerodynamic Jump, Spin Drift and Coriolis corrections to achieve accurate long-range shots.
- Muzzle Velocity Truing allows for accurate measurement of bullet speed without a chronograph.
- Optional LiNK connectivity powered by Bluetooth Smart® provides wireless communication to mobile devices and computers. and integration with LiNK compatible laser range finders for improved speed and accuracy.
- Choice of solution units (Mils, MOA, or clicks)- works with any gun or targeting scope.
- Weather mode offers the full environmental measurements, storage and charting capabilities of the Kestrel 5500 Weather Meter, including wind speed, direction, crosswind, temperature, humidity, pressure and altitude.
- Large, hi-res, hi-contrast, graphic display is perfectly readable in the brightest sunlight. Includes both bright white and night-vision-preserving red backlight.
- Kestrel LiNK for Ballistics app on iOS and Android provides convenient gun management and backup.
- Rugged (drop tested to MIL-STD-810G standards) and waterproof (sealed to IP67 standards).
- Protective pouch, neck lanyard and Lithium AA battery included.
- 5-year warranty
The Kestrel Sportsman is a tremendous value in full-featured ballistics calculators with trusted accuracy and reliability. This integrated weather meter and ballistics solver takes the guesswork out of long-range shooting and is an ideal companion for hunters and shooters working within the supersonic flight range of their bullet.
The new Kestrel 5 Series platform adds many new features and options. If you’re familiar with the Kestrel 4500, the first thing you’ll notice is the larger, higher-resolution and contrast display and improved font readability. The Kestrel 5 series includes a built-in dual color backlight, extra-strong polycarbonate lens and AA battery operation. It also has optional LiNK iOS and Android wireless connectivity and app support. Like all Kestrel meters, the Kestrel Sportsman is drop-proof, dust-proof, waterproof and able to withstand harsh environments without damage – so it can accompany you to the range or hunt for years to come. A range of carry pouch options makes it even easier to take your Kestrel Sportsman with you.
After you purchase the Kestrel Sportsman with LiNK and download the Kestrel LiNK Ballistics app for free from iTunes or Googleplay. This is where you build and manage your gun/bullet profiles and move them to your Kestrel Sportsman before you go out. At the range or match, secure your Kestrel Sportsman to a tripod using the optional Kestrel Vane Mount and use the app to quickly adjust the target range and view the shooting solution and wind rose without leaving your shooting position. It’s like having a meteorologist and ballistician standing next to you while you shoot.
LiNK enabled units can also be wirelessly paired with LiNK compatible laser range finders, such as the Bushnell Elite 1 Mile CONX, to seamlessly integrate target data into the ballistic solution for unparalleled speed and accuracy. ($132.56 off if you purchase both)
In addition to the ballistics solver capabilities, you can open the meter in 'weather mode', a comprehensive weather meter for measurement and logging of primary environmental conditions: wind speed and direction, temperature, humidity, heat index, pressure and altitude. Paired with the Vane Mount, the Kestrel Elite becomes a compact, easily-deployable weather station. Your data log can be transferred to a mobile device wirelessly with the LiNK wireless communication option and Kestrel LiNK app, or to a PC (no Mac Software) with our waterproof USB Data Transfer Cable (available separately).
A few things to factor when deciding on the 5700 Elite vs. 5700 Sportsman
- The Sportsman does have spin drift, so G1 & G7 are good, but it does not calculate drop curves, so in long range shooting (Transonic & Subsonic / Over 1000 yards), fine tuning will be required.
- Through a purchased firmware upgrade, the Kestrel Sportsman can be converted to the full Kestrel Elite with its more advanced extreme long range feature set. However you can NOT add LiNK (bluetooth).
While the Sportsman only holds 3 gun / ammo combinations at once, using your smart phone Kestrel LiNK Ballistics app makes it really easy to switch in or out.
How to upgrade your Sportsman to an Elite:
To upgrade your Sportsman to an Elite by paying the difference from the $926.62 Elite Price.
You can do this from you own computer, but not directly from the app.
You have 3 options:
- If you have LiNK, you can purchase a Dongle for $39.77, then purchase the Downloadable firmware
- You can purchase the cable for $78.21, then purchase the downloadable firmware
- You can send it in to NK... turnaround time can take up to 10 days after it's delivered.